Mr. Edmund Tei Sottie PhD
Principal Research Scientist (Head of Division)
Mrs. Nikki Owiredu
Senior Research Scientist
Ms. Theresah Nkrumah
Principal Technologist (Meat Science)
Mr. Thomas Agyei Ansong
Principal Technologist (Food & Post-Harvest)
Ms. Sheila Aikins-Wilson
FOCUS OF THE DIVISION
- Develop new products.
- Develop technologies to extend the shelf-life of livestock products.
- Develop improved technologies for the promotion of livestock-based food safety standards.
- Increase the market share of CSIR- Animal Research Institute products.
CURRENT RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
- Food (Meat) safety with emphasis on food-borne bacteria.
- Epidemiology of important zoonoses in food and human-animal-environment interface.
- Antimicrobial resistance of zoonotic bacterial pathogens.
- Meat Quality Modifications (Packaging, Nutrition, Value addition).
- Biogenic amines in fish for improving quality and shelf- life of salted and fermented fish.
- Value addition, shelf-life improvement, smoking methods of fermented meat and fish.
- Postharvest handling of animal products.
- Genotype by environment interactions on factors influencing phenotypic characteristics of farm animals.
- Polymorphisms in the myostatin and GHRL genes in the Shorthorn cattle in Ghana.
- Association of the myostatin and GHRL genes with growth and carcass traits.
- Molecular identification of meat.
- Dried egg products development (Egg Powders).
- Extraction of lipids from egg yolk.
- Development of liquid fertilizer from animal urine.
- Evaluate food safety knowledge and practices of Ghanaian consumers with regards to meat handling and consumption.
- Develop a Quantitative Risk Assessment model to predict consumers the burden and Campylobacteriosis associated with retail meat consumers.